Wednesday, November 9, 2011

recommendation for food processor

I Love vitamix but there are some recipes that also involve the use of a food processor. Can anyone make a recommendation? Some recipes need The Kitchen Aid 12 cup. 700 watt motor, has dough blade, etc. 

I have a 14 Cup, which also has a slicer, shredder and bread dough attachment. Easy to use. Easy to clean.Chopping blade is Sharp! Like the pulse feature. Something I realized after the fact...is the liquid limit. I debated between a 9 Cup and a 14 Cup... glad I opted for the 14 Cup which has about a 3 Cup liquid limit. I make Almond milk and so I was having to add water to make the 4 or 5 Cup batch I usually like to have. (Now I use the Vitamix to make fresh as I need batches because it blends up finer and I don't bother to strain)

I like Cuisinarts myself. They were originally made in France and people still rave about those models. They then were manufactured in Japan and now, as I understand it, in China.

I "think" that replacement parts are no longer available for the made-in-France models but am not 100% on that. From what I've read the Chinese models are having quality issues, but the Japanese models are supposed to have the same, or nearly the same, quality as the original ones made in France. I have a 20 cup made-in-Japan model that I like a lot.

We also bought a Kitchen Aid made-in-France model. I don't like it. It seems that the Cuisinarts I've used all do just a little bit better job on everything than the KA.

I've used Robot Coupes (only the basic S-blade chopping functions) and find that I like my Cuisinart better. Supposedly the made-in-France models of both the Cuisinart and the KA were made by Robot Coupe.

My dream food processor would be the Hobart commercial one that I had a chance to use in a commercial kitchen last year. Stainless bowl and lid. Seemed like it had more power than my car. Multiple thousands of dollars though.

I recently purchased a food processor I love. The only place to purchase it is through Sur La Table, online or in the store. It's the Breville Sous Chef - http://www.brevilleusa.com/food-preparation/food-processors/sous-chef-food-processor.html From their website:

The extra-wide feed chute cuts longer slices and makes processing faster and easier. Gone are the days of having to chop potatoes into little pieces to fit into the chute. The variable slicing disc has 24 settings so you can customize the thickness of your slices from a paper thin 0.3mm all the way up to a thick 8.0mm. Using the 'S' blade, cut through the toughest jobs in seconds in the extra large 16-cup (3.8L) bowl. Or, for finer chopping tasks, the mini processing bowl is the perfect size for small quantities. All backed by a heavy duty 1200 watt induction motor with a 25-year motor guarantee.

I doubt the $399 price is going to go down any time soon. If it were offered by Williams Sonoma, maybe, but it is not yet.

Does anyone know if Breville makes their on appliances or farms them out ... or?

But I can tell you I love my Breville Food Processor. There are a number of the Breville products offered on Williams Sonoma, just not the food processor. I also have the Breville Pie maker http://adf.ly/3egqS Hard to find a pot pie maker, and I can't complain in the least.

I just wouldn't go with any off brand. Breville, Cuisinart, Kitchenaid, Viking - many good food processors. Do consider the price and availability of extra blades.

0 comments:

Post a Comment